Dettol is a multi-purpose disinfectant that is mostly use in our homes and industries for different purposes. Dettol can be use for bathing, washing, cleaning kitchen utensils, cleaning of wound and many more. The main function of Dettol is to kill harmful bacteria and also provides protection against germs that cause infection and illness.
CHEMICALS AND THEIR FUNCTIONS IN DETTOL PRODUCTION
Texapon: Texapon is a detergent that forms micelles which allows non polar substance like oils to be dissolved in water. It is a foaming agent!
Phenol: Phenol is an aromatic compound classified as an alcohol and it is colorless and has sweet smell. Phenol is used in low concentration as a disinfectant in household Dettol and also in mouthwash.
Chloroxylenol: This is one of the Major chemical in the production of DETTOL. It is the antibacterial in Dettol that kills germs and reduce inflammation.
I.P.A (Isopropyl Alcohol): Here is another important chemical in Dettol production. I.P.A is a colorless, flammable chemical compound with strong smell, it contain antiseptic effects which gives Dettol the ability to kill bacteria and fungi especially when used for wound cleansing.
Pine oil: Pine oil is an antiseptic and disinfectant substance with a pleasant smell. Pine oil helps you to get a cloudy liquid when diluted in water (Cloudy liquid is what you get when you use a drop of Dettol in water).
Dettol Colorant: This is the color that gives you that brownish Dettol color. It should be added as desired!
Water: Is used as solvent.
MEASUREMENT FOR 5 LITRES PRODUCTION
- ? Texapon
- ? Phenol
- ¼ Chloroxylenol
- 3 liters I.P.A (Isopropanol)
- ¼ Pine oil
- Colorant (As desired).
- 1 liter Water
- Pour the Texapol into an empty bowl.
- Add Pine oil and stir.
- Add Phenol and stir.
- Add Chloroxylenol and stir properly.
- Pour the given measurement of water and stir.
- Add IPA and stir properly.
- Dissolve color in water and mix it properly before adding to content.
Note: Color should be the last ingredient to be dded.
To know if your Dettol is well formulated, it should be able to form a milky emulsion of oil droplet when it is diluted in water.
- Use protective gloves on both hands and if you are allergic to odour of chemical, use nose mask.
- Do not make the production close to naked flames such as unprotected candle flames or flames from any burning material. This is because some of the chemicals are inflammable.
- Keep chemicals out of reach of children.
- Avoid direct contact of chemicals with the skin or eyes. In case of any accident, wash immediately with plenty of water. If symptoms persist please see your doctor.
- Do not taste any chemical.
Leave a Reply