Lemon essential oil contains an antioxidant called d-limonene. This antioxidant is extremely powerful and can even help lower risk of cancer. Lemon essential oil can contain up to 70% d-limonene, which in part fuels its powerful health benefits. Studies have since found that lemon essential oil has many established health benefits, one study found that lemon essential oil is possibly the most antimicrobial of any type of essential oil.
It’s added to many soaps, lotions, and cleaners due to its powerful scent. In fact, lemon essential oil is even more common than that. The oil comes from lemons, typically cold-pressed from their rinds (as opposed to the pulp). Lemon essential oil is distilled and highly concentrated, making it extremely potent; you can’t get the same health benefits from regular lemons or lemon juice.
- Grate a lemon peel over a bowl.
- Fill a small glass bottle halfway with the grated lemon zest.
- Fill the rest of the bottle with olive oil.
- Set the bottle on a windowsill or somewhere else that gets a lot of sun.
- Leave it there for a few days, but shake the bottle a few times a day.
- Pour the oil through a strainer into a bowl.
- The oil in the bowl is your new lemon oil.
- Store your lemon oil in an airtight container at room temperature.
Leave us a comment!