Carrot seed oil as the name indicates is extracted through steam distillation, mainly from the dried seeds of carrot. This gentle oil is famous for its antibacterial and healing properties. They are found to be capable of infusing moisture to dry skin, scalp and hair. Whether you opt to use it on its own or along with other carrier oils is completely your choice.
Carrot seed oil is a softening substance capable of lubricating the cells in the outermost layer of skin. The oil helps to restore moisture that is lost from skin due to evaporation, making it a useful ingredient in moisturizers. The healing properties of carrot seed oil also allows it to soften up the skin tissues. Hence they are considered as an important ingredient in products used for the treatment of eczema and other skin related issues.
HOW TO MAKE CARROT OIL
- Wash and peel the skin of your carrots.
- Grate the carrots.
- Pour any oil of your choice e.g. olive, coconut, sunflower, seasame etc (2 ¼ cups) on the carrots, leave to boil (hot process) or and leave to infuse for at least 72 hours (cold process) till the oil changes and becomes orange.
- Once the infusion process is complete, pour the carrots and oil mixture through a cheese cloth and strain.
- Reserve the oil and compost the carrots.
- Store the oil in a glass jar in the refrigerator.
- Note: If you have a crock pot, you can use to infuse the oil and set at a low temperature.
Shelf life: 6-8 months